Lavidalida is my brand. I manipulate words and lay them on a page, it is the life I live. Feel free to scan through if you'd like!

Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Exclusive Interview: Shayna Dunitz in The World of Non-Profits

Living a busy life involving school, work and other activities, it almost becomes hard to find time to really appreciate what one has. For a small town girl from New York, traveling miles away from home and experiencing a culture meant something more than just a spring break vacation. This young 20 year old has found her calling in the world of non-profits after studying abroad in Australia. Shayna Dunitz is a Communications Management & Design student at Ithaca College, who regardless of her busy school-work-activity schedule, finds time to help her community.


LVD: So, tell me a little bit about what made you interested in helping others?
 I just feel that I’m so privileged to have all of the opportunities that I had/have and am aware that there are others who are not as lucky as I am. I think it would be selfish of me to not give back in some way and try to help people. I guess I have a sort of “pay it forward” mindset.

Shayna skydiving on Spring Break in Australia.
LVD:I noticed that you participated in a study abroad program in Sydney, Australia. How was that?
Studying abroad in Sydney was probably THE best experience of my life. I knew I wanted to study abroad, but I wanted to go somewhere that I might not have the chance to go again, and I also needed to get away from Ithaca’s cold winter/spring! While in Sydney I had an event management internship with a non-profit that I absolutely loved and that taught me so much. 


LVD:You were involved in bringing a non-profit organization to your school. Tell me about it.
I am the founder and president of the IC chapter of 180 Degrees Consulting, an international student run organization that provides pro bono consulting services for non-profits to help them increase their social impact. In Sydney, I interned for a non-profit and in the summer I will be interning for another non-profit, Times Square.
Shayna with AMA at a Habitat for Humanity Build in 2011
LVD:What would you say is your passion in life?
I would definitely say helping people is my passion in life. I’m specifically focused on charities that exist to help children because they’re our future

LVD:What advice would you give someone looking to work in the non-profit sector? 
I think the biggest thing is to stay informed. Keep up on what is going on in the non-profit sector, keep up on what is going on in events. Network. Connect with people who are doing what you’re doing, or who can help you, or who might have some type of interest. Be creative. Find what you’re passionate about and see where it takes you. I’ve really got my hands in a lot of different things right now, just trying to figure out exactly where I want to end up and it’s been great. 

Shayna's swallow tattoo.
LVD: I noticed you have a few inspiring tattoos.Can you share with us what your favorite tattoo is?
The swallow on my back, I can absolutely talk about it. I got it right before I went to Australia and it has a couple of different components. Part of it is a ribbon with the word “family” in Hebrew, because my Jewish upbringing has been very important to me, and my family truly is the “wind beneath my wings.” I chose the swallow to represent me because no matter where they go, they always find their way home. The timing was partially symbolic as well since I got it 2 days before I got on the plane to fly across the world for 5 months. So I think it’s safe to say that this is my favorite out of all of my tattoos, and will most likely remain that way.

LVD: My personal favorites are your Albert Einstein and Robert Frost tattoos. Tell us what they mean to you.
It says “passionately curious.” The whole quote is “I have no special talents, I am only passionately curious” which I think really describes me well. I do have plans for some more, so stay tuned! I got my fifth tattoo while I was in Australia and it’s from the Robert Frost poem, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening; it says “Miles to go before I sleep” on my foot. That one is representative both of my wanderlust, literally miles to go before I die, and also of any and everything else I want to do in my life.

LVD:What is your motivation in life?
I’m not sure if motivation is exactly the right word, but I’m energized through my work with non-profits. I’m constantly looking for new opportunities and ways to connect people to good causes. I’m energized by the knowledge that putting my time into an organization or creating an event is going to better someone else’s life.

LVD:Since your birthday is around the corner, I’ll beat everyone to wishing you a happy birthday. Do you have any plans?
Thanks! I actually had a really awesome birthday plan but it got a little ruined. My little brother’s birthday is 2 days before mine, and he’s turning 18, so our plan was for him to come up to Ithaca with his friends to visit and I would take them out on Friday night.
LVD:Thank you Shayna for taking the time out of your busy schedule to do this interview.  La vida is about passion and inspiration, is there anything you would like to add that I haven’t asked already?
I think you’ve pretty much covered it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails